The Ultimate Guide to Preparing for a Dog Photoshoot
You've booked a photoshoot, and you can't wait to celebrate your sweet pup! I'm so excited to capture your pup's personality on camera! In this guide, I'll walk you through the essential steps to ensure that your dog photoshoot is a breeze.
Grooming Your Dog for the Photoshoot
When it comes to preparing for a dog photoshoot, grooming is a great way to help every pup look their best. Timing is everything! Schedule grooming at least 1-2 weeks ahead of your session to allow any haircut mishaps time to grow out. Feel free to reach out to me if you want any suggestions for dog groomers in Colorado.
Here are some grooming tips to consider:
- Brushing: Brushing your pup before their session not only keeps your pup's coat looking pristine but also reduces shedding, which can be a lifesaver during the photoshoot.
- Bathing: A clean dog is a happy dog in photos. Treat your pup to a bath a few days before the shoot, ensuring they're fresh and fluffy. Don't forget to check their ears, trim their nails, and clean their teeth for the full spa treatment.
- Long Haired Pups: If your pup has lots of hair around their eyes, be sure to trim that so their eyes are clearly visible. If you have trouble finding their eyes, the camera definitely will!
Dressing to Impress - Collars, Bandanas, and Accessories
Accessorizing your sweet pup adds character and flair to the photos. Consider purchasing a stylish collar or a bandana that complements your dog's personality. The right accessory can make your pup stand out and add that extra charm to the photos!
Did you know that bandanas can be a photographer's best friend? They not only add a pop of color to make your dog stand out, but they can also cleverly hide collars and leashes in photos. Consider coordinating the bandana with your outfit for a polished look. It's the little details that make a big difference!
Props That Tell a Story
Props can elevate your photoshoot to the next level! Consider choosing props that share more about your dog's personality or highlight a special occasion.
Celebrating your dog's special day? A dog-friendly cake or cupcakes can lead to adorable and memorable photos.
Unwrapping a gift with your dog can capture moments of surprise and delight. Sweet Henry is celebrating his 10th birthday here, and got to unwrap a brand new toy from his Mom and Dad!
Don't forget to prepare yourself for the photoshoot! Feeling confident and prepared is the key to looking your best in photos, which is why I send all of my clients a Style Guide to help with finding outfits that you will look great in. After all, when you feel good, it shines through in your pictures.
The Confidence Factor: When selecting your outfit for the photoshoot, choose something that makes you feel confident and comfortable. When you're at ease and confident, you will look your best!
Professional Hair and Makeup: For an extra touch of glamour, consider getting your hair and makeup done professionally before the photoshoot. It can make you feel pampered and photo-ready, ensuring you look and feel your absolute best.
The Outfit Prep Guide: At Pawsitively Purrfect Pet Photography, I provide an outfit prep guide to help you make the best clothing choices for your photoshoot. Once you book your session I'll send you a guide that goes over everything from outfit styles, best colors to wear, and shoes!
Embracing Your Dog
- Celebrate Your Dog's Authenticity: Your dog's unique personality is what makes them special. Embrace their untrained, authentic self. I totally understand that your dog isn't perfectly trained; I'm here to capture them as they are and help them look their best.
- Patience and Relaxation: Untrained dogs can be easily distracted, and that's perfectly fine. My approach is patient and relaxed. We take breaks, play together, and allow your dog to be comfortable. In this laid-back atmosphere, we'll capture those natural, heartwarming moments.
- Capturing Your Bond: I love capturing the special bond between you and your pup. Don't worry about where to put your hands or how to stand - I'll guide you through natural poses that help you and your pup look your best! These moments are often my clients' favorites!
With these preparations in mind, you're ready to embark on a dog photoshoot adventure like no other. Capturing the essence of your furry friend becomes an art form, and the memories you create will be cherished for years to come.
We hope you found this guide helpful! If you have any questions or need more tips, feel free to reach out to us. Stay tuned for more photography insights and inspiration from Pawsitively Purrfect Pet Photography!